Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Did It Myself No. 6: Blue and Orange Bedroom

Read this post as well as new content on the completely redesigned Of Houses and Trees!

Enough has been said about New Year’s resolutions. I’m not going to add to the cacophony. But I will say this – about myself. I make resolutions all the time. Spring resolutions. Birthday resolutions. Morning resolutions. Sometime I keep them. Sometimes I don’t.

Inspired by a piece of soap. Soap in a dish…
not on a rope.
One of my current resolutions is to blog more. Why? Because I like putting stuff out there, whether I get paid for it or not. Perhaps the current state of social media will be the downfall of us all, but I like that we live in a Pinterest-y world where people share ideas and creativity flows from one home to another.

I often wonder why Pinterest wasn’t called Pinspiration, because isn’t inspiration what it’s all about? Is it too long of a word? Maybe it didn’t quite hit the nail on the head as far as the namers were concerned? I’m sure if I went in search of an answer I’d find it. But I’ve got more important things to do. Like blogging.

The thing I love about inspiration is it can come from the strangest places. Like the master bedroom redesign I recently completed. Would you believe a piece of soap is responsible? A piece of orange soap on a blue soap dish. I looked down at it and thought, blue and orange…  what a beautiful   and unusual  colour combination! (Even in my thoughts I use en-dashes.)

Kind of looked like a 1990s
dorm room before… minus
the Pearl Jam posters.
Turns out I wasn’t the only one who had come to this conclusion. I found a few jumping-off photos on, where else, Pinterest. One pin in particular convinced me orange curtains were a must, so I headed on over to my new favourite website Fabric Spot. Many hours were wiled away looking at intoxicating prints when my daughter was a newborn and I was trapped (lovingly) with a sleeping infant in my arms. (Yes, I am intoxicated by fabric samples. I lead a simple life.)

When I found this orange and white damask I knew my curtains were nigh. Paired with blue walls (albeit with the deceiving name "Aloof Gray"), a linen coloured duvet cover, orange bird throw pillows and a blue and orange bird-printed fabric, also from Fabric Spot (and sadly no longer available), and I was laughin’. (You know, because I was drunk on my fabric purchases.)

I was not the only one to be oh-so-delighted by my design choices. My daughter, now over a year old, pointed at the new curtains and bird artwork I’d hung overnight (more birds!) and said, “oooooooh.” What can I say? She’s got great taste.

No comments: